What to Pack Camping?
Here is a camping packing list to get you started in the right direction. Of course, the nature of your camping trip will determine exactly what you need to pack.
- Good camping food.
- Tent – make sure you have plenty of room for the amount of people. Remember that you need to have room for bags or anything else you want to put in your tent. Check out our Top 5 Tents (coming soon).
- Sleeping bag – preferably a cold weather sleeping bag unless it’s going to be really hot. Check out our Top 5 Sleeping Bags (coming soon).
- Change of clothes for each day, plus one extra set (you might consider two sets of underwear, socks, and shoes just in case of weather, sweat, mud, etc.).
- Sleeping pad, either roll-up type that self inflates or a full-size inflatable mattress.
- Bathroom items: toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, towel, washcloth, toilet paper (just in case).
- Warm coat if cold weather is forecast. Bring a sweat shirt, too, as boys tend to get warm being active during the day.
- Flashlight or headlamp. NO CANDLES
- Extra batteries for flashlight.
- You may bring a catalytic heater, but NO OPEN FLAMES permitted inside tents.
- Camp chairs for each camper (you might want to bring extra if you expect any guest).
- Insect repellent.
- Sun screen (hat and sunglasses are also recommended).
- Chap Stick.
- Drinking water in bottles.
- Rain gear, determined by weather.
- Try not to bring any electronic entertainment such as MP3 players, video game consoles, portable TV, tablet, laptop/computer or DVD players, etc.
- If you are bringing a child, make sure they have something that will make them feel safe (usually a stuffed animal)
- Gallon and sandwich size ziplock bags, clothes pins, 50 feet or so of clothes line….these have dozens of uses.
This is an edited version of the Boy Scouts list that you can find here.
Some other items you will want to consider:
-Firestarter -Multi-tool -Pot (MSR Alpine Stowaway Pot) -Portable mini stove (MSR Pocket Rocket) -Backpack -Hiking Shoes
This will be a revolving list that gets updated periodically. It will surely only get better. If you have any suggestions, please contact us.